Here is our first appliqué block. This is designed by Jan Patek Quilts. There are only a couple of them, so for those that are not appliquérs don't worry, they're simple and easy to do. And, if you really don't want to do it at all - then take one of the previous blocks you've already made and do it again - maybe swapping out the color values. |
For those that may never have appliqued, this is really easy. There are no tight corners/angles to cut or sew (whether by hand or machine), and not a lot of layers either. So now is as good a time as any to learn.
Tips/Tricks for beginners:
• First - very important - when you do put your appliqué pieces onto your 6 1/2" square, be sure that you place the bird and surrounding stars on point! Just like the picture. This is critical - unless of course you do want one block to be out of sync in your quilt - which is also fine if you like that sort of thing ;)
• On the pattern instructions, you'll see you've been provided templates of the star and the bird. These are actual sizes of your pieces. Whether you prefer machine appliqué, raw edge appliqué or needle turn appliqué, you will need to trace these templates directly onto a fusible web, mylar plastic or freezer paper before placing them onto your fabric and cutting.
• Keep in mind before you cut your fabric pieces - if you are turning under the edges either with glue, starch or needle - the templates do not include seam allowance. Therefore, when cutting out your fabric piece, be sure to cut 1/4" further out from the edge of the template.
• One of our favorite appliqué designers is Karen Kay Buckley and she has developed quite a number of tools that you may find useful. What we especially love are her Perfect scissors. Her scissor blades are micro-serrated so it will hold onto your fabric well and cut those precise tight corners and circles.
• There are so many tools and notions - check out our Appliqué Notions page - find products such as Roxanne's glue, one of our favorite are the 4-piece Stiletto tools, or how about a mini iron.
Here is the FREE download for Block 17.
Ref # SS_Blk17